As I have mentioned in previous posts, the boys and I took a trip to visit my family in New Hampshire the end of January. Our flight home made my consider never flying by myself and two babies again. I have been flying alone with children since we had children. I can only remember one time that James and I actually flew together with a kid. That being said, I am used to the stress and can normally handle it. We started the adventure with a wild chase, heavy bags, "aww they're so cute" comments and a five-minutes-before-boarding-I-really-have-to-go-to-the-bathroom trip in the airport. I'm used to this part.
 |
| Makai's hair-do was intentional |
 |
| Ezra's hair-do was the effects of his hat. |
 |
| Ezra just spotted his crazy hat hair. |
Then we got on the pretty empty plane and found a whole row we could keep to ourselves! My thinking is, "What a blessing ... Makai has his own seat!" We get all buckled and then I get in trouble. Apparently Makai can't have his own seat without a carseat, so I still have to hold him. I just thought, "Okay, I'll hold him take off and landing and then make good use of the seat in between all that." Apparently that's not okay either. That darn flight attendant came by about 4 times during the flight to talk to me about how I need to hold my baby on my lap at all times. And not just that I had to hold him, but he showed me
how to hold him and assured me it was for the baby's safety.
At one point Makai squirmed off my lap and got on the floor just as that flight attendant was walking by, I quickly scooped him up and glanced up just in time to see a "tisk, tisk, tisk" look on his face. He was my best friend. I was one more talk away from saying, "Here sir, you sit down and hold this baby for two hours."
 |
| Caught in the squirming act. |
 |
| I snuck Makai onto Ezra's lap at one point, but of course that didn't last long. |
 |
| It was a cute split second to see Makai leaning up against his big, protective brother. |
Makai cried most of the flight and I actually joined in towards the end. My kids are normally well behaved on flights, but they are still kids. Makai, especially, needs playtime and refuses to be held for very long without the chance to explore.
I got in trouble on the flight out there too for buckling Makai in the seatbelt with me. It definitely made me consider never flying by myself with children ever again. I get sick every time I fly, so I hate it already, add two bundles of energy and an over-the-top flight attendant and I was ready for the night to just be over. Thank goodness it was a shorter trip this time. We have done many trips from Idaho to New Hampshire or Maryland and those are much longer trips. Though I did always seem to have more understanding flight attendants.
I got off the flight ready to chase the kids to baggage claim and cart around our 3 suitcases and a carseat while we waited around for daddy to get us. I was happy to see him, but the affects of our flight stained my face the whole car ride home. At least the adventures in New Hampshire were worth the craziness.
4 comments:
Oh Kayleen, I'm exhausted just from reading your blog post... Been there- done that and it's HORRIBLE!!! I'm so sorry that your flight attendant was not at all understanding- definitely makes things that much more difficult and stressful! This last trip when I flew by myself with the boys I vowed to NEVER fly alone with the kids, especially while 5 or so months pregnant.
Ahhhhh Kayleen that's terrible!!! I would have been so annoyed at the flight attendant and told him to go bite the wall, and just put him in the seat anyways. That is so hard!!! I've only flown once alone with my kids and I think once was enough for me until they are older!!! Glad you had a good trip though!! All the posts were so fun to read!!
Well, hello super woman!! I.don't.know.how.you.SURVIVED! You go girl! Sorry it was stressful and sorry that flight attendant was like robot that couldn't reprogram. I AM glad you got a good cry out of it! A good friend (ahem) once told me sometimes you just need a good cry to let out all the stress! So glad it is over!
I would check the info on the airline's website next time you fly. And if it doesn't specifically say anything like that then, print it out to show a crabby flight attendant. I really don't think there is anything that says that he HAS to be on your lap the entire time. Now I can understand if it's an infant, but a toddler?? Come one! I had a similar issue flying with Chase once. I got lots of dirty looks, and I'm sorry maam he can't be up and about. Course the flight before that, the attendant was super nice and let Chase walk up and down the isles with me when the seat belt sign went off. She even played with him in the back for a bit.
Post a Comment