Makai was born August 14th, 2010 at 11:55am. He was 9lbs 1 oz. 19 inches (although today he measured 20.3 inches at the doctors). It was a scary and fast delivery. The super long story is below if you wish to read:
I woke up at 8 or so that morning and my contractions started soon after that. I decided to get in the tub for a little because I thought I still had plenty of time to get ready to go. It helped, but the contractions were very painful very quickly and my shower after the bath was extremely hard to get through. James had gone into work for a little bit (I told him to because like I said, I thought I had plenty of time). Though right before he left he looked at me and started to cry. He was sad to see me in pain and excited Makai was on his way.
When I got out of the shower I told my mom to call the doctor so I could be checked without having to go to the hospital. We made an appt. for 10:30 and I called my midwife to let her know I was in labor. After limping around the house to pack my bag and crying every step of the way I started freaking a little. I turned on some music to distract me while I paced. Ezra thought I was dancing, so he joined in and twirled around for awhile. At 10:15 I told my mom we were skipping the doctors and going straight to the hospital and I had her call James to rush home. He got here right as we got in the car and we drove up. (I did yell at a car parked behind ours talking to our neighbor who wouldn't get out of the way fast enough. It actually felt really good.) We got to the hospital and I told the nurse that she had better not tell me I was still at a 3. She laughed a little and said, "you're a good 6 or more." They then took me to my room.
My midwife met me there and it really helped having her there. She had me stand over the bed for contractions and had James push hard on my lower back. I didn't think it was helping until I tried to get back in bed and realized it felt so much worse to lay down. It didn't take long to get to a ten. She was going to have me push standing, but Makai's heartrate dropped drastically and she couldn't get a good read. That's when she started panicking like you never want your doctor to do and she had me hurry on the bed. She stuck a needle thing in Makai's head to get a better read and immediately called the doctor to come in. His heartrate should've been at least 110 or higher, but it was 60. The nurses began prepping me for an emergency C-section. They shoved the IV in my arm and threw an oxygen mask on my face. They didn't even turn the oxygen on until I told them I felt like I was suffocating and then they realized. DUH! The doctor came within minutes and told me he wanted me to try pushing before we rushed to do a C-section, so I pushed like I never thought I could. There were many nurses in the room yelling at me to push harder and that honestly just made me mad. Of course I'm pushing as hard as I can. They were pulling at me like you wouldn't believe trying to hurry and get this kid out. Well, within less than a minute of pushing and screaming Makai was handed to me and he began to cry. My tears started to flow as I held him. They didn't leave him on me very long before they rushed him to the table to make sure all was well.
He thankfully was doing well. He was very badly bruised from being pushed out so quickly, but other than that he was good. He had chub all over and I just loved it. That chub has thinned out quite a bit already, so I guess he was just swollen, but certainly bigger than Ezra was. After a couple of hours they finally let me shower. I came out to find the nurse pumping my new baby with oxygen. Apparently he had spit up and then stopped breathing while she was bathing him. We had to watch him closely for awhile after that.
(Ezra got to help with his first bath)
It was scary getting him here and then a little scary when he was finally here, but now he's doing great. I of course cried later that night when Nana took Ezra home. I have never been away from him overnight.
Ezra actually really loves him and is adjusting well so far. I'm having a much harder recovery than with Ezra, but they said that's normal. I'm remembering the pain of nursing and the joy of being up all night long, but I really couldn't be happier to have him here. Thank goodness for Nana who is here to wake up with Ezra and help me with meals and anything else!
Ezra actually really loves him and is adjusting well so far. I'm having a much harder recovery than with Ezra, but they said that's normal. I'm remembering the pain of nursing and the joy of being up all night long, but I really couldn't be happier to have him here. Thank goodness for Nana who is here to wake up with Ezra and help me with meals and anything else!
(He still wasn't so sure what to think- this is before he helped with his bath. That's what seemed to start the change of heart.)
(It was a long day, but way worth it!)
For more pics and story check out my mommy blog.






10 comments:
He's so cute. I can wait to hold him and see him in real life!
He is just perfect! Sooo precious. Scary experience but I'm so glad the doctor at least had you try pushing before a c-section! Holy smokes! Imagine if they did that when all you had to do was push for a minute! I mean...a really hard minute- but still, way better than a c-section! You are awesome!
YAY!!! I'm so glad he is just here, safe and sound! what a relief. nice day to be born, too (my birthday). i am scared that i will go fast and furious like that too, since i am already dilated to a 4, 70% effaced! gah.
thanks for posting, i've been dying to hear how things went! congrats on the little chunk--- how did you even push a 9 lb. baby out of your tiny body?!?!? lol.
p.s. which midwife ended up delivering you?
Congratulations Kayleen! I hope to see lots of pictures of little Makai. It's funny, when I was pregnant with Naomi and we were coming up with boy names I *loved* the name Kai so I like that Ezra calls him that. :) And I'm so glad that Ezra's adjusting well! That's what I worry about for whenever we have another one.
I'm glad all is well. I miss you, my friend!
Oh heavens, he is adorable, and of course I love love love the name. :) I am sorry we haven't been over to see you and him, I hope to come very soon!! I am so glad you and Makai are ok and doing well. Can we bring you dinner????
KAYLEEN!!!! :) i just finished reading a few of your recent posts and i'm SO EXCITED FOR YOUR LITTLE FAMILY!!! and so excited to come back and see you!! and of course Ezra and i'm quite excited to meet little Makai!! I'm so proud of you Kayleen! can i say that?? I've watched you go from high schooler to college student, to wife and then mother, college grad, and now mother to another sweet spirit who is blessed to have you as his mommy :) i'm so proud of you my friend, and so extremely happy for you!! i love you friend!!
Congratulations! I can't believe you pushed a 9lb baby out so fast right before an emergency c-section! pretty amazing! Oh, and Makai is SO cute!!
Congratulations! He's a beautfiul baby :) I swear you're one of the toughest women I know!
Now I've read the whole experience! You are so tough! I can't wait for us all to get healthy so we can bond with the little guy. I hope you are doing well. I miss you!
Post a Comment