Earlier today I was oowing and awing over some photos a friend of mine took. (Go here to oo and awe with me: http://www.ericakirbyphotography.com/.)
Well, James thoughtfully said, "Wow. You should get some talent too."
Oh gee, thanks. As if I wasn't already feeling like the only person in the world without a great talent to share with the world, my husband had to go and confirm my fear. I laughed a little. He explained that he meant I need a talent that will make us money. Didn't make me feel better. Now I'm talentless and not contributing financially. Oh bother. I love my husband. I think the things he loves most about me are the things I do that prove how talentless I am: dance like I'm five, burn everything, etc.
The only thing I was ever sort of good at was writing, but I don't write songs any more and my poems are way too embarrassing to share, so my blog is the only thing that sort of reflects my love for writing. The problem with that is... EVERYONE blogs and so many people are so great at it. And why are we so interested in other people's lives? Like strangers lives. It's a bit odd, don't you think?
I don't sew (well), paint, cook (well), take pretty pictures, dress fancy, etc...
Soo... I'm on the hunt for a talent. Wish me luck.
10 comments:
You're good at Wii Mario! Take it from someone who runs into the ditches all the time. You're good. And You get WAAAAY more coins than me, more than enough to provide for your family solely. Yeah, you rock at the wii. Don't search anymore- call me your talent scout!
ps- AND you're always good at getting the word verifications right- I'm on my third one! Is there something the world isn't telling me???? sworte, sworte- just write it in the box.
I am laughing my head off right now! You guys are sooo funny and I loooove reading your blog! You really do have such a talent in writing- I'm always either cracking up or tearing up when I read it. Oh and you are really good at making cute kids too!
haha! And Mary's comment made me laugh too. You guys are so silly!
P.S. Thanks for the shout-out :)
Ok. I'm actually really glad you posted this. First off, can I just say...MEN! I think just about all of them have some sort of linkage missing in the brain when it comes to communication. That's my opinion:) Second, I honestly believe anyone can develop a talent if they want to. People say things about my sewing or whatever...but do they see all my failures? No...and do they see how long it took me to figure it out? Or the classes I took...I could go on. But it's the same with playing piano or taking pictures or anything...practice and dedication is what gets people talents. So if you want to have a talent, you can! Seriously you have the ability. Last, I am gonna be real forward here but you need to remember that you contribute just as much to your family as your husband. Just because you don't see the results in dollars doesn't mean it's not there. You are raising two children...which is worth all the money in the world! I know that sounds cheesy but I really think it's true. I just hope you don't lose sight of that. I know this is long, but it just breaks my heart that you feel bad about yourself like that! You are really talented at being people's friends. Seriously I appreciate your comments so much. You are so sweet and to me that is worth a lot more than a pretty picture or a great recipe.
Kayleen, I feel the exact same way! Talentless. In high school being friends with you and Courtney was sometimes hard because I saw all these things you two were doing with acting, soccer, dance, etc and I was pretty jealous. All I could think was "I could never do that stuff." I guess as we grow up and get into the blog world we're exposed to SO many different talents that the little green eyed monster pops up again. "I could never be a photographer, sew so well, be as crafty, come up with such cool kids' activities..." I feel that way A LOT. So I agree a ton with Danielle up there. You just have to work at it. And maybe someday I will. :) And I also agree 100% that you have a massive talent for friendship. Even after living so far apart for so long now I still feel like I can tell you anything, you still make me laugh so hard, and tear up at the sweet things you know just to say. I love you Kayleen!
And you are the best daughter in-law in the whole world. Now I know you will say you are my only daughter in-law but you are the best for my grandsons. And I really do want to try some of your wonderful looking Garlic toast when next I see you. Love your Mommy-in-law.
You are an awesome mommy! An awesome friend. An awesome wife. You make awesome babies, SO cute and sweet. You're dedicated and stand up for what you believe in - Seriously, has anyone met you and not loved you? That right there is talent! I'm one of those people addicted to your blog, and I love seeing what you're up to. I need to call you...still.
You are an awesome mommy! An awesome friend. An awesome wife. You make awesome babies, SO cute and sweet. You're dedicated and stand up for what you believe in - Seriously, has anyone met you and not loved you? That right there is talent! I'm one of those people addicted to your blog, and I love seeing what you're up to. I need to call you...still.
Okay...seriously. He sounds EXACTLY like Brett here. I've heard those same statements lots in the past couple of years. And I'm still working on figuring it out myself. But I think you're wonderful. And I love reading your blog, especially because I don't know when we'll be close again. And I've learned so much from what you write already. :)
Oh sister! You have SO many talents. You don't need to find one that will make you money. You're wonderful with kids and people. You can make anyone laugh just by being you (even if we are sometimes laughing at you). ;o) You ARE a great dresser and great at doing hair. I only wish I had those two talents. I suck at both. There are WAY too many to list here anyway.
I think you're great at sewing actually. I've only seen a couple of your projects, but I think they turned out adorable! Keep practicing and maybe you could make a business out of that!
I've been talking about that a lot lately...that I don't have any talents either. Haha! Wish I had the time or means to build on or discover one. Maybe someday.
You're my favorite sister and I love you and miss you lots poopsnot! I wish we lived closer. Then maybe we could build a talent together. ;o) (Hopefully in a couple years).
You are an awesome writer! I love reading your blog too, AND, I think you are so inspired as a Mother. Way more mature and dedicated than I was when I was your age, because I'm like an old lady and STILL talentless,lol. BUT, I've made some dang cute and talented kids, and maybe a talent is nurturing and developing our children and their talents... Hmmm? Tell James I'm totally gonna kick his butt next time I see him for THAT tactless comment. He is soo gonna get it. I say that with a big smile. I love him and still think he's cute... ;)
Post a Comment