FYI: Birthdays are a big deal to me. Especially big one's like the 25th. James can tell you all about how I "ruined" his 25th when we were dating because I made a huge deal out of it and thoroughly embarrassed him. I still think I was an amazing girlfriend and beyond thoughtful, but whatev.
The 30th we all went out to dinner (for me! well, to eat, but James says it was all for me). There was James, the boys, Duane and Ilene (James' mom and stepdad), Aunt Dale, Erica and Dusty (James' sister and brother-in-law) and their 4 lovelies, Amanda, Ashley, Evan and Austin. It was an extremely long wait, but we got free food for it, so I'm over it. While we were waiting a man came over to the kids and started pulling out 2 dollar bills for them. When he got to Ezra he said, "I guess I'm out" and handed him a $20 instead! Erica kept saying, "no, no!" but I was like, "thank you, thank you! It's my birthday, you know :)" I didn't really say the second half, but you better believe I was thinking it. Ezra was so excited and would not let me touch that cash. He wadded it up and shoved it in his pocket for safe keeping. (Thankfully I dug through the pocket that night before it hit the laundry basket.)
The next morning we had to attend a funeral for our friend Matt Naylor. He was like a brother to James growing up and I had the pleasure of getting to know Matt, his beautiful wife, Mary and their two boys, Shawn and Ethan, since James and I got married. He was a great guy; so easy to love and he will be greatly missed. I was asked to sing in a small choir for the service and it was a great honor.
I came home that afternoon to a card resting on the stairs (James was working) that started a scavenger hunt around the house. I quickly got the boys down for naps and began my adventure. It was clever and adorable and I smiled the whole way through. It lasted well over an hour if you count the second half that James finished that evening after work.
Then we got the boys ready for bed and passed them off to Grandma so we could go on a date. We went to dinner and movie.
It was a fantastic birthday.
But I will say that I am not really interested in stating that I am 25. It just feels weird and too introductory to being old. And while I did have someone tell me that I look 18 (I think it's the acne) and on another occasion a man told me it was impossible for me to be the boys' mother, I have plenty of white hairs springing through and surely some wrinkles showing up leaving proof that I am not the 5 year old I model my life after. But thankfully I have 3 wonderful boys who love me still:
4 comments:
I'm so glad James made a big deal for you, you deserve it! I love ya and I miss you! You are beautiful, and just remember, no matter how old you get, you'll always be younger than me!
Oh yay! I'm so glad you had a great birthday! I turn the big 2-5 in April, so not looking forward to it....
Anyway, that photo of you 4 is absolutely beautiful! You look great Kayleen! Happy (late) Birthday!
Happy birthday and CUTE pic! Sounds awesome!
Happy Birthday! One day I hope to convince Jake that birthdays are a big deal! ha. Also, you're ONLY 25? Why did I think we were the same age? Not that you look older, because frankly, I think we both look pretty young. . . but still. Weird.
Also, sorry to hear about your friend. I have no idea what happened, but anyone who loses a spouse at such a young age just makes me ache.
Post a Comment