9.13.2011

Ezra's First Day of School

Ezra started preschool today. He was so excited. He has been talking about it since we first started looking at schools soon after we moved here this summer. I just thought it would be a good way for him to meet friends around here. Plus I just can't get him to sit through my "school sessions". When we picked the school and dropped off the registration forms, he cried because he wanted to stay.

He woke up this morning and said, "I'm getting so big!" In other words, "take me to preschool mom!" We got dressed speedily and sat down for a breakfast that he raced through. Then as he was leaving the table, he knocked over his full glass of chocolate milk all over himself, the table and the floor. I knew it was going too smoothly. We got him all cleaned up and changed and he was running out the door with excitement.

I did send him to school with a messy face! Oops. At least we got his teeth brushed before "the big spill". 


It's a hard thing to send your child and his education into someone else's hands. I've been so worried that I was going to lose my sweet boy into the not always sweet world of preschoolers. I worry that he won't share or that he'll be mean to another kid. The thing I worry about the most is his tender heart. 

When we dropped off the registration papers, summer preschool was in session and a boy looked at Ezra and snottily said, "who's that kid?" I responded (as any 5 year old mother would), "This is Ezra, he's a cool kid." The boy said, "No he's not; he's weird." I wanted to be 5 some more and say, "No you're weird, you weirdo." However, I grew up long enough to walk away. It made me feel sad. 

What if Ezra heard what he said and felt badly? What if comments like that happen all the time? What if kids say words and act the way I have tried so hard to teach him we shouldn't?

When we were leaving school today there was a young woman standing right outside the door and Ezra said, "Hey, get out of my way." I was shocked. He usually impresses me with how polite he is and always says excuse me. He even apologizes to lamps and doors or chairs if he bumps into them. It kind of made me fearful that he is already picking up on some not so nice behavior. I made him apologize right away and then talked to him about being respectful. I just hope my sweet boy stays sweet.

I have considered homeschooling in the future and still might for different reasons. Maybe I'm silly, I am just so proud of my boy and I don't want to lose that. Though I do believe that I have tried my best to teach him and now it's up to him to put some of those lessons into action. 

I just can't believe my little Ezzy is going to school! He's even got a field trip coming up to go to a petting farm. He's definitely looking forward to that. 




3 comments:

Danielle said...

haha he is so cute. Deary me- those are my same fears and I don't even have children yet! But, it seriously SERIOUSLY sounds like you are such a good mom and teach him good things. I'm sure he'll do great!

kelsey said...

He will always stay sweet, even if it doesn't seem like it for a while. It is so hard to trust other people to be a good influence on our children, but we just have to do it I think. He will learn. Even if he experiments a little with the new things he is hearing/learning, I think that they will come around to what we are trying so hard to teach them at home.

Jenn and Kylann said...

Chase hates his school. And he's already shown his anger issues and it's only been two days. Not sure what to do about it. I think I'm gonna give it a few more weeks and see how it goes. Maybe I'll look into homeschooling myself. But truthfully, I don't think he'll sit still.

Ezra will do great. You've taught him well. Wish I could say the same for mine. :o( Love you sis!