3.24.2011

Day 24: Babysitting

I used to babysit all the time growing up. I mean like seriously every weekend practically since I was 12 or so. I loved babysitting. I was great with kids and I got paid to play with kids and eat other peoples food. What could be better? A date? No, not me. I didn't date much. I didn't hang out with people much. Mostly, I just babysat.

(This is Rachel and Brandon. I babysat them for years. I miss them.)

I still love babysitting actually. I love it for different reasons most days. I like when Ezra has a playmate to distract him from climbing my legs or whinning in my ear to play the wii. I also love it just because I love kids and it's so fun to play with them. I love to share Ezra's toys (when he says it's okay of course) and watch them discover new things in new surroundings. I love to see the differences in children. I love the snuggly ones especially.

The one thing I never thought about as a single, child-less, free-time/working babysitter was how much those parents trusted me and NEEDED me. It makes me wish I babysat for free a lot more. It makes me wish I thanked them for having so much trust in a young girl to take extra special care of their most precious angels.

The first time I ever had a young girl babysit my Ezra I was a basketcase. We were in Maryland and wanted to go to the temple, so my mother-in-law found us a sitter. I had never met her nor had Ezra. I wrote her a long note about him. I trusted her because my mother-in-law did, but I was so nervous about how Ezra would behave and how she would handle things. It all turned out well and I laughed about my lengthy letter to her afterwards.


Any babysitter we have had since I have appreciated so much. Sometimes it might be annoying how many times I say "thank you" to them. Not only did I get time with my James because of them, but they took care of my other two boys that are my life. It is so hard to ask people to watch your kids because I think sometimes they really just don't want to. Not that it's a bad thing; they have their own family to spend time with and take care of. When you ask a young girl she probably says yes because she's getting money out of the deal, but all of our friends work for free and it makes me feel badly. We don't go out alone often for that reason. (Okay, and mostly because I have the HARDEST time being away from my children. James actually does too.)


However, when we do, we feel renewed and it's wonderful. It is no simple favor to look after someone else's children. I feel blessed any time I am asked because I know how much trust they are putting in me to look after their little ones and I love it. Am I weird?

4 comments:

Grandma Lene said...

What two adorable little boys. Please please keep the pictures coming. Love them, the pictures and the boys.

Rachel said...

I feel the same way! I hardly ever have dates with Perry where the sitter isn't just watching the baby monitor while he is asleep. I'm just so nervous. I will relax some day I hope!

Grafulas said...

I was not a babysitting lover when I was young because I didn't understand children at all, but now that I have my own it's fun. The hardest thing for me to deal with when I've gotten babysitters for Geryn is that I've missed a whole 2 HOURS of her life! When I come back the sitters never give me enough detail about what she's been up to...makes me feel out of the loop with my own kid, so then I have to make up for it (ie proving that I'm still the coolest) by being an extra awesome mom the next day :)

Tree said...

Kayleen, You are a marvelous young lady - I am so happy we had you to watch my children - I never had to think twice - I knew all would be well - I just worried that they'd make you crazy! We all love you! I know I can speak for Kendra and her roommates - they LOVED watching Ezra! I know Kendra is bummed that they haven't seen you guys this semester! I love you and miss you! You are the most amazing wife and mother! Such a wonderful example! Theresa