2.06.2014

Homeschool

We have had an interesting start at our homeschooling adventure. There are so many things I love about it and so many reasons I try to remind myself that I love when there are days that I don't particularly love it. Truth be told, it is tough for me and I am struggling daily with the battle in my mind about so many different things. I'll stay away from all the confusion that fills my brain and just move on to the fun things we have actually done this year...

Ezra is in Kindergarten. While I am still learning what that means for him, we are exploring the things that he wants to learn. I have no doubt that he is learning a lot this year even on days that my efforts are lacking and I am grateful for that. He is fascinated by so much.

Because there are two other children floating around the house and a sometimes very sick mommy, we have to be flexible with how things are structured... I have recently changed our schedule to have a daily focus subject. We will cover other subjects, but spend most of our time on just one for the day. Thursday is strictly our science day. Ezra's favorite day of the week by far! Friday is generally a craft day/make-up day/occasional field trip day.

He is reading books by himself now and is doing so great at figuring out tricky words. He even reads entire versus of the scriptures mostly by himself and he gets so much pride from that. It is making all those incredibly stressful reading lessons so worth it.

We have had some fun units such as: dinosaurs, jellyfish, volcanoes, geysers, gravity, and hearts. We have also had some not so exciting, but still educational units. Thank goodness for pinterest or most of our lessons would be not so exciting. It's fun when I get a little creative all on my own, but that's rare.

We have also started attending a monthly homeschooling class at the aquarium lab. They get to learn about creatures and they bring in a special guest for them to discover. It's a fun change for Ez to be in a somewhat standard class setting once in awhile.
Makai got to participate a little as well which was fun. Ez is in the striped shirt. He's sitting next to his buddy Haley. We do a co-op fairly regularly with her and they have a great time together. We do experiments, crafts and the even helped each other learn to tell time. It's so fun. He did so well in this class and is such a well behaved child. I had no doubt he would be, but it was fun to see what he is like when mommy isn't in charge.
Ez at the Aquarium before heading to his class. 
All in all, I don't regret my decision to homeschool him. Do I think I'll do it next year? I'm still torn. I have two (almost three) other babies that need my attention and I'm not sure I'm the type of supermom that can divide myself equally. I feel like I'm giving up if I put him in public school, but I also feel like I might be holding him back if I don't. Ugh... It really is the toughest decision to me because I feel so passionately for homeschooling... I guess we'll see what happens. If we lived in a different area I think my heart wouldn't be in such turmoil about it.

For now though we still have some time and some fun ahead of us. I plan to continue schooling throughout the summer (if pregnancy and baby #4 allow me to), so I'll try to be better about tracking our progress and adventures.

4 comments:

Grandma Lene said...

Love you post and pictures keep them coming, and it sounds like u are doing great at tracing Ezra, I can't believe he is reading in the scriptures already.

Katherine Johnston said...

I am so proud of you for homeschooling this far. I know it must be at times very stressful. But, you have obviously done a great job, and Ezra has done so well with it. So proud of him too and his progress. I LOVE that he is reading scriptures too! I Love those little guys, and am so glad they have such a good Mommy! Hugs

MDtripmom said...

Kayleen, I admire you so much! I know I'd be struggling and I'm the one with a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Education! It sounds like Ezra has made such amazing progress this year and he has you to thank for the strong foundation you are giving him, regardless of where he ends up doing his schooling in the future. One day at a time. Miss you!

Michaela said...

I have been so torn about schooling too. It's such a tough decision! I really admire you for homeschooling Ezra this year. It sounds like he's doing so well and making lots of progress. I also like that you don't make it sounds like it's all peaches and cream. I can't imagine it would be easy homeschooling while pregnant and with 2 other kids at home. And even though it's been tough at times you're still glad you did it, so that's encouraging!
I keep thinking about homeschool and how I want to be able to homeschool my kids. And then I scare myself out of it. I really don't think I could do it. Thankfully there are SO many school options here in Mesa, so I'm starting to feel ok with the idea of sending Calin to kindergarten. Sort of. It terrifies me though. And I hate that he has to be away from home ALL DAY long to learn what we could learn in a few hours at home.
Anyway, it sounds like you are doing great! I want to hear more about your homeschooling adventure!