2.25.2013

Trouble Trouble

I'm thinking of changing his name... 
Makai is sooo much trouble ALL the time!
The thing I love the most about Makai is his personality.
The thing that drives me crazy about Makai is his personality.
He is so different than Ezra was. The other day I realized that Ezra tricked us into thinking we were great parents... then Makai showed us the truth: we don't know anything.
I feel helpless when it comes to discipling and teaching this child. He laughs at me when I'm upset, yells at me when I'm calm, slaps me when I'm trying to be patient and he gets into everything even if I'm standing right there watching him.

For example: In the past couple of weeks I have had orange juice spilled all over the floor, wall and couch (on different occasions), rocks thrown in the toilet, strawberries smooshed into the carpet, crackers thrown and crunched into the carpet, daddy's deodorant smeared all over his face, toothpaste eaten and hiden, lotion rubbed into my bed, baby's bed, the carpet and Makai, and everyday there is a new spill and mess ALL day long!

He loves to pour his water into his cereal and then spread it on the table. He thinks it's fun to climb counters to see what mommy might have forgotten to hide. He touches hot stoves after many warnings because he doesn't trust me that it really is hot. He thinks it's funny to fight me when I change his diaper. Water does not belong in the bathtub, but rather all over the bathroom floor and mommy. Deklan's binky's are fun to hide. He never sits to eat his meals. When I try reading him a book he steals it and reads it by himself. He fights nap time and usually falls asleep on the floor in his room. He refuses to hold my hand and runs away from me when we're in a parking lot. He pulls my hair when he's really mad at me (I have a seriously sensitive head, so that is the main thing you can do to make me mad). He likes to tell me to go outside and often points at me demanding that I cry. He finds other people's toothbrushes more interesting than his own. He fights me all day long about almost everything. He's the cutest little stinker, but I am at a complete loss as to how to handle him.

This is the face he'll flash at me if I catch him doing something he shouldn't; like hiding behind the chair in his room sucking on toothpaste that he climbed two shelves to get to.
I'm hoping it's a stage and maybe he's just reacting to Deklan being born, but right now I am going crazy and praying that we all survive another day. I take a deep breath before I go find him after he's been quite for awhile and I try my best to find the right words to help him understand and I try my best to understand him. He's trouble. It's a good thing he's cute, but I gotta say, the older he gets, the more trouble he gets and it's getting less and less cute everyday. 

I just hope our neighbors don't think we're beating our child. Though I'm sure they aren't super excited that we have moved in next to them. This does make me wonder if I should ever risk having another baby because what if it's ANOTHER boy?! And worse... What if he's just like Makai?! Let's just hope I stay out of the looney bin and don't go bald before Makai is 3.

8 comments:

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Oh my goodness, I can TOTALLY relate to this post! AND with my middle- Logan! Logan sounds exactly like Makai... I noticed his behavior (logan's) long before we had Jaxon, maybe right around the time I got pregnant with J (So a little over 2 years old) and boy has it gotten worse. I blame it partly because he's the middle child and majorly because of his personality. I can't remember how old Makai is compared to Logan but how's his personality really? Is he a child that thrives on the extra attention and love? Logan totally is and yet it took me forever and a day to figure it out. That's what he's (Logan) is wanting. SOOO... the days that I give Logan that extra (And when I say extra I mean, don't even take my eyes off of him, give his lots and lots and lots and lots of hugs and kisses) ALWAYS give him praise, those days go so much better. Otherwise he's a TERROR! And I don't feel bad writing that because I was JUST about to write a post like this one about Makai, on my blog about Logan today! Great minds think alike? Or Struggling Mama's stick together! So my best guess would be to just give it everything you've got to give him that attention he's wanting. I know it's SO hard because you have a brand new baby, but any spare time you have make sure it's with Makai. I'm sure you're already doing everything you can and you're a great Mama and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but just what has worked for us. Because I promise Logan is a complete nightmare on his really bad days and I've gotten to the point where I'll tell Nate that I just can't stand him anymore (Logan) and I know that's so horrible but he's a very difficult child to please and parent and it's hard! Just keep your head up and try what you think will work even if it hasn't in the past. Love you Girl! You'll figure it out, you always do!!! PS- I know what you mean about having ANOTHER boy! When I found out I was pregnant again by surprise, I was terrified (that's probably not describing it enough) that it would be another boy. Three boys is a LOT of work, but they will be worth it... someday! :)

Jeremy,Jennie said...

Hahaha, this made me laugh!!! Haven't we all been there....Aevyn is the same way. I just feel like I can't keep up with her! He's adorable. I love the little look on his face in both pictures, and his amazing blue eyes!!

Grafulas said...

Carl's been trying to convince me that having a boy will be just like having the girls--this post is a great argument against that :) Good luck! I agree with the first responder though--usually the days that go the best at our house (as in, with the least amount of emotional power struggles) are the ones where I basically don't do anything but whatever my kids want me to do with them--minus movies, my kids are ALWAYS grumpier when I let them watch TV or movies... It takes a lot of effort in a way, but it's less unpleasant than being angry all day because of the battle. But for all I know you already do that, so don't feel any criticism coming from this end, ha.

Kami said...

Hey Kayleen,
I wish I was there to help you out! I bet you've cried your share of tears over this boy, and as hard as this post makes him sound, I'm sure it's even harder. All I can say is that Paden was really hard for a few years, but I saw a huge change at 4. They can reason better then. Also, I notice that when I let him try to compromise with me on things I'm not willing to compromise on, we just fight. If I tell him very firmly, "this is how it's going to be," he listens better. It's like he needs that reminder that he is not in charge. Makai's still pretty young, but Paden went through a hitting stage, and it got bad enough that if he hit me I sent him to his room until Tyler got home, which sometimes was hours. It wasn't fun, and it was a fight to keep him in there, but he hated being in there that long, so he quit hitting. I don't know what to tell you except to keep praying. Sometimes that's the only that got me through, and it sounds like you have it worse than I did. Good luck! I love you!

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Oh Kayleen you are such a sweet mom- that list of household felonies went on and on and despite everything you could still tell how much you loved that little boy! Thanks for sharing, I am almost positive Johnny is going to hit some kind of rebellion in the next couple months- I can just sense it! Good luck with everything. That little boy is lucky to have you!

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

ps- this post really made me laugh, I felt like was right there with you- I know it must be hard, but I think it is cool how you look for the humor. Miss you!

Cory & Kimmy said...

I'm worried Caleb will be like Ezra. He's tricking me into thinking I'm a good mom because he doesn't get into crazy things like that. We've had our episodes but it was never a daily battle like yours. I'm a little nervous for the next one to come. Good luck! You are a great mommy!

kbear said...

Awww. You poor mommy! I wish I had a suggestion for you. My older two girls are pretty naughty too, but your little guy has them beat. :-( I'm sorry, but it makes me feel a little better. (Sorry!) I hope you can find something that works! Have you tried taking away toys? I have started "locking" the girls out of the playroom when they have been extra naughty, and they have to earn it back. We also (sometimes because I am bad at sticking to it) have the girls earn "coins' (poker chips) by going to bed nicely (HA!), picking up their stuff, putting their dishes in the sink, etc. Then, they can spend the "coins" on TV time, video game time, playing outside, going to a movie, going to the zoo, etc. Movies and the zoo cost several coins, and TV or video game time costs 2 coins. My friend even makes her kids earn their meals. (!) I would bet it is about the new baby brother, at least partially. Do you guys do parent-child one-on-one time? This is something we have recently implemented in our house. On payday, one parent takes one kid out on a "date." It can be a movie, the park, anything. We rotate: Daddy and Izzy, Mommy and Gabby, Daddy and Lucy, Mommy and Izzy, Daddy and Gabby, Mommy and Lucy... Eventually, Jameson will be old enough to join the rotation.