|
Birthdate: December 29th, 2012 at 7:40am
Two weeks before my due date I was at the midwives and asked
if they would check me to see how much I was dilated. I was only a 1 and he was
still pretty high. The following week I was told I was at a 2. I was getting a
little concerned since we were moving on the 22nd and with Christmas
coming up. And my insurance changed on December 31st. That meant
that if I didn’t have him by the end of 2012 that my birthing plan needed to
change (meaning I’d have to go to the hospital and maybe have a different
doctor) and I wouldn’t have nearly as good of coverage. So I was praying for
this little guy to arrive ASAP.
I had a doctor’s appointment on Friday December 28th
(my due date) and was told then that I was only a 1. I guess they were wrong
the week before. I started to cry. I was also sick and hadn’t been sleeping the
past few days. My midwife wouldn’t strip my membranes because I guess they only
do that if you are a 3 or a 4. But she gave me the option of going into the
hospital to get a prostaglandin gel insert. I declined, went home and
researched, cried a little more, and then called the midwives to see if it was
too late for the gel. They told me to come right in. I went into the hospital
after 3pm, left around 5pm and started having contractions on the drive home.
They were off and on for the rest of the night. I was up most of the night, but
by about 4:45am I woke James and told him that this was the real thing and we
had better get moving. (That is when the midwife said we would record labor
starting for real). James showered, then I took a bath and then showered. The
boys woke up then too (sorry mom). We called the midwife at about 5:45am and
she asked when I wanted to come in, I told her we better come right away
because my last kid came fast.
We met her at the birthing center at 6:15am. She checked me. James and I think she said I
was at a 5. She then asked what I wanted to do and I asked if she would start
filling the tub. (It is my preferred location to labor). I climbed in, moaned a
lot, James cried a little, and things got moving. I snacked a little and drank
lots of water, but mostly I just rolled my head from side to side and moaned. It
was only the 3 of us in the entire birthing center, so it was really quiet (or
peaceful as James put it. Somehow I don’t think we were having the same
experience at that time.)
My midwife was fantastic. Her name was Shaina. She let me
take charge of the entire experience and that was great. She let me tell her
when it was time to push and tell her what I needed from her. She was ready to
step in at any point, but I love that I was in control. It was a little too
quiet, so I asked her to turn on the jets to muffle my own screams. (Yes, I was
still in the tub. I did not necessarily intend to have a water birth, but I was
not about to move, so a water birth was happening.) Then right after she turned
on the jets I started pushing and broke my own water (never done that before).
Then I had what felt like a 3 minute break in between contractions. It was
weird, but appreciated. Then I screamed a lot more and baby boy was here.
7:40am.
The midwife who was acting as assistant got there right as
he was being set on my chest. When it was time to get out of the tub to do all
that lovely after-birth business, they handed the baby to James. He says that
was cool because they usually take the baby away to do all that baby stuff and
then we see him when he’s clean. We got lots of snuggles with a gooey baby. A
little later they did weigh him and do all that baby stuff. He was 9lbs 3oz and
21 inches long. My biggest baby so far.
Then I nursed him and he nursed like a champ from the
get-go. We were given a little time to snuggle him and relax and then they
asked for his name. Umm……. We could not decide. Finally we were told we could
leave and just call them on Monday to let them know. We stayed another hour
trying to pick one and then gave up and decided to go see our boys. We left at
11am to go home.
My mom made a “Welcome Home” Sign that made it all seem so
real that we had JUST had a baby and we were bringing him home. First thing
Ezra said to me was, “Your belly is still big.” So sweet. Thanks Ez. Makai was
very interested in the baby. Ezra didn’t really like him.
The next few days were spent full of tantrums and confusion.
Ezra didn’t understand why I was always holding the baby and Makai only wanted
daddy and nothing to do with mommy. Though Makai did love to hold the baby. It
took a few days to get Ezra to even hold him. By Tuesday, January 1st,
we officially named him Deklan Steele Tressler. Deklan was just a name we both
didn’t hate and many people recommended and Steele is a family name on James’
side.
All in all things went well. I didn’t have to deal with my
insurance changing, we got all moved in before he came and I had my best
birthing experience so far. The recovery has been good and the adjustment to 3
kids has been easier on me then adjusting to 2. Not to say it’s all fun and
games. Last night I had all 3 kids screaming at the same time and I felt like I
was going crazy, but emotionally I am doing okay.
Deklan is a sweet baby. If he’s not being held or sleeping,
he’s crying, so it’s hard to get things done, but we’re surviving and he’s
cute, so it’s okay.
Can’t believe we have 3 crazy boys now!
Welcome to our wild family Dek-O. We love you!
 |
7 comments:
Congrats, Kayleen! I am so happy for you guys, Deklan is a lucky boy to be in such a wonderful, fun family. I love reading your birth stories- you write them really well (I hope that doesn't sound as creepy as I think it might!) It was cool hearing the birth center experience- I am glad everything went well, he beautiful! Like his Momma! Sending our love!
You are amazing!! I don't know how you are so independent during labor, I'm very needy! Also, I don't like to be in control. If I'm in charge of decisions, then I end up deciding nothing... which is why there was no nubane last time. Deklan is very lucky, you guys are so fun. Thanks for sharing Kayleen, you tough tough momma!
Wow. 3hrs of labor, and home 3 hours later. Amazing! I'm so glad you had such a great experience at the birthing center! I wish I would have done that with Capri while in Arkansas.
Deklan is so adorable! And thats great that the adjustment to 3 hasn't been too difficult! He's a lucky little guy to have such a wonderful family!! Congratulations Tressler Fam!
Ohh I love those curls too! So cute!
What a crazy birth story! Like- not too crazy but just the fact that you were home so soon, that's great. From what my sisters tell me, they just want to get home as soon as they can. I'm glad it all worked out! You are awesome!!!
Kayleen, you are AMAZING!!!!! I can't believe you had a baby and were home less than 5 hours later!! And you look incredible--beautiful as ever!!! I can't believe you have three boys--so exciting!!! We miss you guys!!!
How have I not commented on this yet? Oh yeah, new babies . . . moving. good times! I know you can relate! I loved every detail. I especially loved it, knowing that same day I would go into labor too. So funny. I also can't believe you went home so fast. Incredible.
Do you baby wear? I have a Moby (I got it on Craigslist almost new for half the price of a brand new one). I love it! I mostly use it when we go out - like taking the kids to the zoo. But it is also very useful when Baby wants to be held and Mommy has stuff to do. I absolutely love it and highly recommend one! It might make life a little easier. :-)
Post a Comment