11.05.2012

Trick or Treating

After James was called into work on both of his days off during the week and was not even allowed to come home at night, his boss decided to be nice and let him off early on Halloween to take his boys trick or treating :) We went to the mall to start our trick or treating. It was lame, lame, LAME. It was supposed to go from 5-7, but more than 3/4 of the stores either weren't participating or ran out of candy the first 30 minutes and the "treats" were weird. We left disappointed and cranky.

We went to find some dinner and then found ourselves right near a fancy neighborhood that we had jokingly discussed trick or treating at earlier. Well, we went there. We drove into the secluded neighborhood, parked right in front of a strangers house and knocked on their door for some candy.

It was an AWESOME neighborhood. Even though it was cold, people were sitting on their porches or at the end of their driveway greeting us with candy and free beer. That's right... awkward. It seemed like every other house had a cooler filled with beer. Never seen that tradition before, but I guess it's big in their neighborhood.

The residents, aka "our neighbors" were very friendly and gave the boys handfuls of candy. There were fun decorations, crowded (but not too crowded) sidewalks and streets. It was the perfect place to go trick or treating.

Ezra dressed as a pirate and Makai wanted to be a monster. I promised to take pictures, but then forgot my camera in the car, so James snagged a couple with his phone.

Mr. Mak could not wait long to tear into his candy. He was content chewing through wrappers and stuffing his  face. He would go to the houses and say, "Treeeeat!!" Major sweet tooth. Totally my fault. You can usually find him hiding in the corner somewhere with sugar drool dripping to his chin and an "it wasn't me" look on his face. Trouble trouble!
Pirate Ezra and mommy trick or treating. This year I am happy to say that I resisted the urge to tell Ezra which candy to pick and I let him choose whatever one he wanted even though it was the 40th lollipop he put in his bucket..
We came home stocked up on goodies and sooo tired. Wish I could say I'm one of those mom's that sells back her kids candy or throws half or all of it away, but I have to admit that I am one of those mom's who steals more than half of her kids candy for herself and then bribes them with treats on a daily basis until it's gone. Sorry to disappoint you.

Hope everyone had a great Halloween!

3 comments:

Michaela said...

Makai looks so cute! I forgot my camera too while trick-or-treathing, thank goodness we have camera phones :)
Bummer about the mall, but sounds like you scored with the neighborhood!! Sounds like how ours was - handfulls of good candy, and people sitting on the porches and driveways :) So fun! I didn't notice anyone handing out free beer though. That's hilarious!
I SO wanted to help Calin pick good candy. He kept choosing crunch bars. Who likes crunch bars? lol.
I'm with you on eating/using the candy as bribes :) It makes home a much happier place when there is lots of candy around :)

Ian & Cristina said...

I ate my kids candy too. All they wanted were dum dums. I think I'll cherish these years when they don't yet know the goodness of a resee's cup or snickers.

Love you guys!

kelsey said...

That neighborhood sounds amazing. I always think going to nicer places is the way to go when trick-or-treating.