5.04.2012

The Bitter Side of Blogs/Facebook

Sometimes it's hard not to compare yourselves to other families. At least it's hard for me. Though I have talked to too many people to pretend I'm alone here. Some families have more money, nice houses, grown-up jobs, cuter, amazingly talented kids, are craftier, more fun and overall better, right?

 I recently deleted Facebook. There are several reasons why I did, but the one I will share is that it simply does not feel good to be caught up in what other people are doing sometimes. I reactivated it recently and part of me wishes I hadn't. Too many sad stories or overly fluffy stories. Too many preachy stories and excessively braggy stories. The minute you have something worth sharing, someone else has something that trumps it and there goes the excitement.

Sometimes I feel like right when I start improving or doing something that I am proud of, I notice the world of other people I know or used to know who have been there and done that. I hate that these feelings are as real as they are sometimes. But I know we all have moments of coveting, so I am wondering how we can overcome it and just be happy with where we are in these jealous moments? I feel like shutting out the world and just living in a bubble with my family because it's safe here and we're exceptional here. Out there? Yikes.

We force our kids to walk, or get potty trained or read early because there is obviously a race out there and gosh darn it my kid will make the world proud. Once I found myself telling a story about something Ezra had said and the audience didn't seem to appreciate how adorable it was like I did, sooo, I added to it. And then he said, "badeep badeep that's all folks". Then the laughs. It kind of ruined it for me, however. I vowed to make Ezra's stories true to Ezra because I love Ezra's stories raw. You can rest assured my recorded Ezra stories are unedited. They are special and beautiful to me and that's enough. That's also a reason I hid my "mommy blog". My moments don't mean something to everyone or even anyone, but to me, they bring tears, they are real and miraculous and moments of light, wonder and amazement. That's where I find the strength to overcome coveting; I hear a simple prayer thanking Heavenly Father for the Holy Ghost who helps us to be happy or I see a hug and hear a small voice whisper "saw-ee" or I catch my husband glance over and smile my way during church and I am able to breath and think, "Okay. We're not skinny, rich, always happy or incredibly good at anything, but we're doing our best and we still have reasons to smile."

I think as women and probably especially those of us who stay at home often wish there was something we could contribute to the world. Like a talent or a special story or an above average, front of the line family.

Sometimes we just are the way we are and that's all there is to it. And in my bubble, that's okay. It's just tough to feel the pressure of what everyone else seems to think your family should or shouldn't be doing and where when and how. I feel proud of my little family in the slowly progressing life we live. And even through our boring day to day and our trying minutes, we are The Tressler Family and there is Someone very important up there who thinks we're doing just fine. I'll take it.


10 comments:

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Kayleen, i completely agree and relate to this blog post. Im sorry you feel this way, im sorry this is how the world is. For some reason we as women feel the need to measure up to what every other mom/wife is doing. Someday hopefully that will change!

Katie R said...

I needed this post. Like, every day of my life. You have an amazing way with words and I can totally relate with how you feel.

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

So true, thanks Kayleen- I like what you said about James smiling your way at church- I think that captures it, that good life. I loved every single picture! It is kind of funny- Ezra is laughing and smiling in every one and then the last one he makes a face while everyone else is smiling! haha. He is so cute. It is really sweet how much your boys adore their parents- you can totally tell.

Katherine Johnston said...

This is so true unfortunately. It is easy for us to count everything that is wrong in our lifes, but we rarely stop to count what is right, and often that's because we look at everything that seems so much better in the lifes and words of others. I'm so glad you look at things differently because there really are many more things right in our lifes than wrong. And even if that weren't true, it is so much better to look at the positive, than the negative. You have a very blessed family, and it makes me proud, and makes me smile when I read your blogs. Keep up the good work Kayleen! I love you! And those pictures are great, and show the real Tresslers!

jmeschwartzfamily said...

I have to shake my head and smile and ponder all at the same time. I'm so glad you talked about this. We all need it! I feel some of those same things and wrote a post about it and then deleted it :) Once you wrote about how someone felt kind of bad about themselves because of how good you were...pretty much what you are talking about here. That comparing thing. I remember thinking, I feel bad about myself too sometimes when I read your blog and see the great things you are doing with your family. But other times I read and feel more inspired to be better and sometimes I just feel happy because I have a friend out there that is an awesome person. Shoot, we all have good sides and bad, smooth days and rough, happiness and sadness. It's just hard to see that in others, right? But do we need to? AWW, so hard! I hope you'll always like you because you're you...sure try this and try that but don't try to be anyone else because I'd miss you! I have to try to believe that about myself too....you are right....it is hard to do. P.S. you are changing the world for good.

Caley said...

This is so great. Thank you for sharing, Kayleen. I too have struggled with this, but in different ways. As someone who is patiently waiting for their family to begin, it's hard to constantly be happy where we are when I too see things online that make me jealous or long for a different life. Luckily my new busy lifestyle has helped me from spending too many hours on here like I used to and I'm more able to focus on loving the moments I have now. It's amazing what that little distance from the outside world does for your perspective on life sometimes, huh. Thank you for sharing your heart and reminding us of this important lesson.

Also, thanks for continually updating your blog with your adorable family. I wish we weren't so far apart. I miss you guys a lot. There's this girl in our new ward that reminds me of you and I thought "I need to be friends with her"...the exact same words I thought of the first time I saw you. haha. Miss you girl! Love you too!

Grafulas said...

Total coincidence: We just got the internet again today (after not having it for several months) and due to pressure I reactivated my facebook account and immediately regretted it. I've really enjoyed being apart from all the junk on there. I agree and relate 100% to everything in this post, though my mommy-vanity has never allowed me to consider anyone else's kids cuter than my own :) Also, I didn't log on to your mommy blog soon enough the last time you sent an invite, so if you're willing to send another one I'd still like to see it.

kelsey said...

Show me anyone's kids who are cuter than yours, and I will be the judge. Seriously. And I even have my own kids (who are darling as well). lol.

I'm not big into facebook for the reason that I don't really care or need to know what other people are doing all the time. And really, those people are just on facebook all the time. . . which says something.

It's funny because when you posted about Ezra learning to read I thought, "Whoa, he's the same age as Norah, that's awesome. . ." since she is nowhere near even wanting to learn! I think it's great that you posted about this though. The internet is a crazy place these days. That's why I stayed away from Pinterest for so long, because I knew there would be too many cute and crafty things that I felt I "should" be doing with the girls, when really, I just don't like to be crafty!!! No one should try and tell me to!

You're a great mom. Congrats to James on the promotion. You have a great little family, be proud of it.

Elissa said...

Kayleen,
We all feel this way sometimes! I think you put it so well. Sometimes we all need a break from the internet world. It's so easy to get caught up in comparing ourselves to others. What really helps me is to step back and realize I'm doing the best I can everyday. I'm trying my best with what I've been given. And the Lord sees that and that's all He asks from me. And I know you're doing the best you can, too. And you love your kids, which makes you a great mom!

Michaela said...

Ok, my comment is so random since this post was months ago, but in the summers I get so behind on blogs, and I was skimming through some of your posts that I missed and came across this one . . .

You're right, you're definitely not alone here. But it still makes me sad when friends who are SO amazing sometimes feel like others don't think they or their families are stacking up. So I thought I would share a few of my thoughts about you, with you :)

We didn't really hang out much in Rexburg, but we were in the a couple wards together and I've been following your blog for years, so of course I consider you a friend. And I wish all the time that I would have gotten to you even better when we lived close to one another. But you have always intimidated me a little bit. But in a totally good way, if that makes sense. Like "she's so sweet, pretty, amazing, why would she want to be friends with me when she obviously already has a million friends?!" I really think you are Amazing! And I am constantly inspired by you. You seem to always put things into perspective and have such a strong testimony, and it shines through your countenance and your writing. You're an amazing writer! So talented! I LOVED reading your mommy blog! It was touching, inspiring, and usually brought a few tears to my eyes. I hope you start another blog sometime that is similar to it that others can read. Have I mentioned that you are one of the most beautiful girls ever?! And your boys are just the cutest!! And you are one of the best moms I know! Even through your blog I can tell. That's not something you can fake, and I know you wouldn't ever even try anyway. You keep it real, and I love it!

I feel like you are someone who has things figured out and you have a wonderful life that you love. It makes me happy to call you my friend and you are always inspiring and uplift me :) Keep remembering that there is someone up there who cares about Everything that you do, and also many of us do too!!
xx