4.26.2012

Never an Answer

Ever since I got a cell phone I have received this complaint from numerous people: "You never answer your phone!' or "You're so hard to get ahold of."
I even answered the phone and caught the person on the other end talking to someone next to her saying, "I have never caught her.." I was a little embarrassed when I said "hello."


It's true. I'm sorry. I very rarely answer my phone. I never answer if I don't recognize the number and am not expecting a call from a random source. However, the others time I don't answer are because I don't ever keep my phone by me. It's always in the next room, in the car, at the bottom of my diaper bag, or buried in a toy box.

I could change this. I know it bothers people. But I just don't have the desire or need to be reachable at all times. If I am in the car I almost always have my phone next to me for emergency (though there is a strict no cell phones while driving law in Maryland). Or if I am away from my boys I have my phone close by and check it often.

I am embarrassed to say, texting works better for "my type". Okay, so I'll admit that I do like texting because I am sooo awkward on the phone. I don't know how to converse with the strange voices in my ear. Texting is also better for my type mostly because I can get a text, send a text, leave my phone, and come back to the conversation when I get a chance (or find my phone). I don't mean to sound like I can't be bothered, but my life doesn't normally allow for even a 5 minute peaceful or productive phone call. If I step away to talk, Makai finds something to spill on the floor to quickly get me back.

I'm a direct contact kind of person. I like talking to face to face. I feed off of emotions and expressions and meaningless stories and long not-at-all-awkward pauses. I heard a character from a show once say, if texting was invented first and then the "phone call" we would all be amazed and going crazy about the fact that we can actually hear the person on the other end and have actual conversations. I laughed and agreed.

Here's my sincere apology for missing your calls including calls that I will continue to miss. If it's important, don't stop calling and I'm bound to hear it soon. If it's business, send a text and if it's a "hello" come on over. Or just call and I'll try to be better ;0)

5 comments:

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Oh I wish I could stop by!

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Oh I wish I could stop by!

Katie R said...

I am the EXACT same way! Well, maybe not exact. I usually have my phone nearby but I won't answer it if it's a number I don't recognize. In that situation I usually just let it go to voice mail and figure if they really want to talk to me they'll leave a message and I'll call them back. But other than with family I really feel much more comfortable texting. I feel super awkward on the phone. So, I agree and I understand. Sadly, this is also the reason that I don't stay in touch very well with old friends. So, this is me saying I love you, Kayleen!

Jenn and Kylann said...

I hate talking on the phone for the same reason! Even in person, I feel awkward. I hate that I've turned into that person who can't really socialize anymore. :o( Oh and P.S. You don't answer texts all that often either. ;o) Maybe a few days later. Or several hours later. I get it, you don't want to talk to me. I don't blame ya! ;o) Love you sister!

Jeremy,Jennie said...

Psh, it's YOUR phone, if you don't answer it that's up to you!! I get so irritated when ppl get mad at me for not answering my phone, it belongs to me, to do with as I please, and if I don't answer it or am slow (or don't at all) text you back, then that's up to me. If it's really important, leave me a message and I'll get back to you...when I'm available.

Anyways, I don't think you have a thing to worry about!! And I sure wish we could stop by,or plan a date to the park, etc!!