Koda is the newest member of our family. He was born August 15th, 2019 (the day after Makai's 9th birthday)! He is our little surprise ending. My pregnancy was a super easy one, as was the delivery. It made it hard to say he was our last because I even told the nurse minutes after he was born that I could do that again. She pulled her glasses to the end of her nose and looked at me and said, "In over 20 years of being a labor and delivery nurse, that is the first time I have ever heard that." Lol. It was just peaceful and beautiful to watch him enter this world. Buuuut, my luck ran out about a week after he was born. He started screaming all the time. For like the first 2-3 months he just cried and cried. Brielle learned to say his name early on, but never said his name without saying, "Ugh, Doda!" That's kinda how we all felt. But then he started smiling and becoming a little happier and life suddenly got better.
There is something magical that happens when a baby smiles and giggles. It brings tears to my eyes seriously every single time. His eyes sparkle and his whole body just exudes joy. I love it.
Koda was born with congenital hypothyroidism like Brielle, but thankfully he grew out of his right away and didn't require medicine. It has required many needles getting blood drawn which breaks my heart, but he's handled it all like a champ.
He has become our second thumb sucker! Brynlee was our first and it was a nightmare to break her of it. The only thing that worked was promising her she could get her ears pierced if she stopped. James says that's not an option for Koda, so we're gonna have to think of something else. Right now, I'm just enjoying the self-soothing and the cuteness of his thumb-sucking.
He is a momma's boy, as every little boy should be. I do love holding him especially because he is usually very content in my arms.
He startles easily, which is kind of a challenge in a house with 6 kids, a dog, and the neighborhood running in and out. He will start to shake and cry with loud noises or shouting. It's the saddest, sweetest little thing. I'm sure he'll get used to the chaos in time, but I appreciate his tender reminders that we need to tone it down a little.
He still wakes up quite a bit at night, but I just moved him into the room with Deklan and he seems happier in there. It's warmer in that room too, so that probably makes a big difference.
I love that the only thing I need to do is smile at this little baby and he will be happy. I just love babies and I'm so thankful to have him!

1 comment:
Beautiful! I love reading what you share about your family! And you share the realities too! 💜
Post a Comment